Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Learning About QR Codes


qrcode

These little squares that contain black and white pixels are popping up everywhere. They are called QR codes short for "quick response" codes. Here is a site to easily create a QR code. We will practice this in class next week. I generated the QR code above so if you have a smartphone that can read QR codes give it a whirl. If you don't have a QR app on your smartphone you can search for a free apple QR reader in apple apps for apple products like iphone/ipad/ipod or the android marketplace for droid phones QR Droid, Scanlife, and Kaywa are a few popular droid apps.


Watch this 3 minute Youtube video from a school that highlights some interesting ways they are using QR codes in their school for a variety of purposes.

Read this short article on 12 ideas for teaching with QR codes and browse through this slideshow on  innovative ways teachers in different subject areas are using QR codes.

If you are interested in browsing through other ideas using QR codes...check out  Tom Barrett's 40 Interesting Ways to use QR codes in the classroom (notice the CC license on the title slide) or this site that allows you to easily create a scavenger hunt using QR . http://www.classtools.net/QR/. 



What are your thoughts about QR codes?  Where have you noticed these QR codes in your daily life? What purpose or application for them in a school or classroom environment can you see?

6 comments:

  1. I see potential for QR codes to be posted on a bulletin board or wall in my shop out of the way of the machines. If a student needs a refresher to understand how to operate the band saw, drill press, etc.; possibly a QR code could take that student to a brief video to reinforce proper operation. I wouldn't want it to be the sole instruction particularly the first time they are using the machine, but as a refresher, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa: So far, I have been intrigued by the QR codes. I see people using them in stores instead of clipping coupons, or using them to get information about something. After going through the lists of possible uses for the codes, I am even more intrigued. I liked the ideas of using them for extensions activities, or to provide video tutorials for certain questions. I also liked the idea of an Easter egg scavenger hunt. This idea could be adapted for many learning oportunities. Overall, I think QR codes in the classroom could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought was how beneficial these could be for the Special Education population. Our kids are almost always in need of remediation. QR codes could help kids get that extra help at home. QR codes could also help our parents who try to assist with homework but either don't know the material or need to hear the lecture or see the class activity themselves.
    I think QR codes could also really help our homebound population. We have students who can't attend school for medical reasons, and as of now, they're limited to either a quick tutor session or on-line E2020 via a netbook. QR codes could really help students see what happens in a lab, observe Q&A with the teacher and just listen and see what is happening in the classroom on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our society keeps moving faster and faster. QR codes are a faster way to get information. In a society where people carry phones rather than pens and paper, QR codes may be used more and more. As I watch the videos and read the slides, I kept envisioning QR codes being used a lot in the classroom of the future.

    Students would like this. I could see myself putting a QR code on a worksheet which would link to a tutorial video or website page, or putting a QR code at the entrance of my classroom to get the students started on an opener activity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, QR codes just make linking to sites/docs/tutorials/videos/etc easier and faster than typing in a URL especially in today's vastly growing mobile market. Most kids have these devices in their pockets which make retrieving resources a very fast and easy process. They are especially useful for young children who have a difficult time typing in URLs...a 3 year old can use a QR code....and if my dogs had opposable thumbs...they probably could too... :)

      Delete
  5. Not sure where my response to this went but... I really like QR Codes now that I know what they are! I definitely see the benefit of them in the classroom/school and in my personal life. I think it is a great way to get students and people to information quickly. Some of the tools we have learned about are difficult for me to fully utilize in my setting, however this is one I feel I could use if I allowed my students to use one of my personal devices to scan the codes. I also think this is a good way to get parents involved. If I put a QR Code on my introductory handout at the beginning of the year it could take them right to my webspace. I could also put codes on different handouts to take them to practice sites or other information.

    ReplyDelete