Monday, March 17, 2014

Understanding Creative Commons


image: http://www.newmediarights.org/taxonomy/term/77
Although Creative Commons has been around over a decade, many teachers and students are unfamiliar with what it is and why they should know about it.  Creative Commons was founded out of the need for people who wanted to share content they created with other people on the web and not be bound by restrictive copyright licensing. Creative Commons licensing allows creators to decide how their work can be used, shared, and remixed by others.

You might ask, "Well what does that have to do with what I do in my classroom?" Well...if you assign projects that require the use of any multimedia culled from the web such as video, audio, images, photography, etc...then Creative Commons has everything to do with what you do in your classroom.

There are 2 short videos I'd like you to watch before we talk about Creative Commons next week in class and then post your response in the comment section.
This 3 minute video will give you an overview of the emergence and purpose of Creative Commons.




This video will give you more specific examples of the types of Creative Common licensing available and how it can be used.



While you and your students may be creating and/or sharing content on the web, that is not the primary reason for teaching you about Creative Commons. My main purpose in exposing you to Creative Commons is from an "end user" or consumer standpoint like when you or your students are searching for content to use like pictures, music, video, audio, worksheets, etc

How does knowing about Creative Commons licensing change your thinking or perspective on your use or student use of content from the web?
Why is it important for all educators to be aware of, teach about, and/or adhere to Creative Commons licensing?

10 comments:

  1. Lisa: This seems like quite a bit to remember, or to be concerned with. I think it is good there are levels the author can choose from, in regards to how much they would like to share. As the person using the information, we would have to be careful not to go beyond where the author wants to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll break it down in class this week...at first glance it seems complicated but there are really only a few things to remember. At this point it's important for you to be aware from a consumer standpoint.

      Delete
  2. Often, finding a valuable resource that better instructs is like finding that vein of gold. The nice part about this website is that conforming to some simple rules like acknowledgement of authorship allows you to use that valuable resource. Often, I've found cool stuff but couldn't use it because the cost of rights were ridiculous even though it was non-profit purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the main points of CC...the ability for a creator to specify rights so it supercedes the automatic copyright protection and makes it easy for people to share content.

      Delete
  3. I found myself thinking about trying to teach kids about plagiarism while I watched these videos. It's a lot like using someone's words while being sure to credit them in your paper. When we did projects and papers in college (yes, that was a zillion years ago), we didn't have access to media like kids have now. The availability of Creative Commons sharing seems like it would provide kids with a major advantage when using multi-media, while also giving teachers a lot of opportunities to significantly change the way they use media in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have already broken a lot of rules. I need a lot of education on using digital media. Creative Commons seems like the go-to place for projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this. I feel like it makes the rules nice and clear. Once you learn what the licenses are I feel like it is a lot less overwhelming and worrisome. This also seems like it would make teaching the kids about being responsible when using information more practical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard about Creative Commons before (probably in one of your classes, Jennifer) but it had sort of fallen off my radar. I feel like I have often broken the rules of copyright in the past. The thing that most got my attention was the way to search in Google for Creative Commons items. Now that I am a Google search pro, I can maneuver around the internet better and LEGALLY find and use things in my teaching. Also, I look forward to teaching my students to use this when I teach them about internet research and citing their work. I always feel like a fraud when I teach about plagiarism....Now maybe I can feel like I am using works legally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FYI: I put some resources in the link roll on this blog to find creative commons resources. We looked at them last week while you were sipping a fruity beverage on a beach.... :)

      Delete